Working as an Educator
Educators are required to work under the Children (Education and Care Services National Law Application) Bill 2010, the Education and Care Services National Regulations and the National Quality Standards.
Who can be an educator?
- Have you had experience caring for children?
- Do you have a minimum qualification of the Certificate III in Children’s Services or are prepared to gain this qualification?
- Do you enjoy the company of children?
- Can you create a safe, nurturing environment that enhances children’s learning and development?
- Are you willing to create a collaborative partnership with the family’s?
- Do you have the skills to positively guide children’s behavior?
- Are you happy to run your own business from your home with the support of a team of professional coordinators?
- Do you have effective communication skills and value the diversity of different cultures?
If you answered yes to these questions family day care may be for you!
Requirements needed to become an educator
FDC educators are registered through an Approved Service Provider. To locate the closest FDC Service to you contact a Project Worker on 1800 157 818 press 2 for FDC.
Registered Educators are required to have:
- First Aid Certificate
- Working with Children Check
- Home Safety Inspection
- Public Liability Insurance
- Adequate equipment
- Health and Safety – Regulations and Standards ensure that your home and garden are hygienic and safe for the children
- There may be some costs associated with making your home safe eg: fencing, barriers for stairs, mandatory glass audit, storage.
- Costs associated with obtaining a First Aid Certificate
- Insurance costs
- Costs associated with purchasing equipment for the children, eg: cot, toys, car seats, educational equipment etc
As you are running your own business you are able to set your own fees. The coordination unit you register with can assist you.
Many families are eligible for Childcare Benefit (CCB). This is administered by the coordination unit and passed on to educators with families paying the difference of the full fee.
Who to contact?
To find your closest Family Day Care Service please contact a Project Worker on 1800 157 818, press 2 for FDC.